Oyster Mushroom Wings
Who needs fried chicken when you can have a platter of Oyster Mushroom Wings?!? I was definitely a fried chicken lover before I went vegan and I must admit that it's not always easy to find a good substitute when you're vegan, but oyster mushrooms are definitely one of the best I've used. They have a good meaty texture and as long as you batter them right you'll get that crispy crunch without any harm to our chicken friends.
- 4 cup oyster mushrooms whole
- 4 cup flour I used Spelt flour
- 2 cup water
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt & black pepper to taste optional
- Oil for frying I used grape seed oil
- In two separate bowls add 2 cups of flour, 1 tbsp of onion powder, 1 tbsp garlic powder, and 1 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- In one bowl, mix in your 2 cups of water. This will be your wet ingredient bowl. Use more liquid if the batter gets too thick.
- Add oil into a large pan and allow for the oil to get very hot.
- Separate the mushrooms leaving the stems attached.
- Take your mushrooms and dip them into the wet batter first, then the dry batter, and then into your oil.
- Allow mushrooms to fry on both sides until golden brown a little crispy.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Serve warm.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!