Oyster Mushroom Wings
Oyster mushroom wings are a great oyster mushroom recipe and a perfect appetizer or snack and great for when you're in the mood for some delicious vegan fried chicken. This vegan oyster mushroom recipe results in delicious, crispy, wholesome, and mouthwatering wings that are not just vegan but are a treat for your tastebuds.
Are mushrooms vegan?
Many people indulge in the hot debate of whether mushrooms are vegan or not. If you are among these people and are a bit confused on whether to put mushrooms in a vegan category or not, here is everything you should know about these.
First and foremost, the main principle of the vegan diet is not to eat animals or animal-based products. Instead, the focus is purely on the plants, vegetables, and plant-based ingredients. When it comes to mushrooms, many people think of them as living things. Well, there is no doubt about it. Even plants are living things. But the exciting thing about mushrooms is that they are neither plants nor animals. Instead, they belong to a completely separate group, i.e., the fungi. So, because this group is separate from animals, we consider mushrooms a vegan-friendly ingredient.
However, one has to keep in mind that there are hundreds of different types of mushrooms. And not all of these are edible. However, others thrive on plant trunks and other plant-related areas, making them 100% vegan. So, make sure you know your mushrooms inside and out before consuming them. Oyster mushrooms are completely edible and are also known as pearl oyster mushrooms or tree oyster mushrooms.
Why make Oyster Mushroom Wings?
There are many different ways you can make vegan wings. These include not just other batter recipes, but the main ingredient also varies. For instance, most people love cauliflower wings. There is no doubt that these are delicious, healthy, and crispy. However, the one we are going to talk about today is something extra special that no other recipe has. Here is why you should follow the oyster mushroom recipe:
- The crisp: the first thing we all notice in crispy oyster mushroom recipes is the crunch. The satisfying sound of the crisp along with the melt in our mouth interior. The crisp along is to die for. The recipe uses seasonings and spices that add a depth of savory flavors we all long for.
- The flavor: the oyster mushrooms have a unique flavor. And to add more flavors to these vegan wings, we use ingredients like cayenne, onion powder, garlic powder, etc.
- The ease to make: Believe it, or not these wings are super easy to make. Th preparation time is no more than 15 minutes, and the cooking time is just 10 minutes. Thus, this vegan oyster mushroom recipe is a perfect choice for snacks and appetizers.
- Healthy: These vegan wings are pretty healthy as well. Because I use spelt flour instead of all-purpose flour, the health benefits are elevated. Furthermore, oyster mushrooms are also known for their many health benefits. They are rich in several vitamins and minerals. And if you would like to make the dish even healthier, you can air fry or bake the vegan wings instead of deep-frying them.
Here is everything you need for this vegan fried chicken oyster mushroom recipe:
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms are delicious. They have a unique flavor and texture. Among the many different types of edible mushrooms, Oyster mushrooms are perfect for this recipe. That’s because whole Oyster mushrooms have a unique shape, texture and imitate wings perfectly well. In short, they are quite a tasty mouthful.
- Spelt Flour: Well, you can use any kind of flour like all-purpose flour, etc. however, I have used spelt flour for the purpose. That’s because it is rich in minerals and nutrients and has far less gluten than all-purpose flour. You can use gluten-free flour as well.
- Water: To make a thin batter from flour, you have to add water to it. However, I have a fantastic trick. You can use vegetable stock instead of water for added flavor. It brings us so much depth of flavor.
- Onion powder: Onion powder is a fantastic seasoning that brings in a slightly sweet and savory flavor. Plus, it is readily available.
- Garlic powder: Another amazing seasoning that brings in a strong garlicky and savory ingredient is garlic powder. It adds so much flavor to the vegan wings.
- Cayenne pepper: What are vegan wings without a bit of heat. Cayenne is a well-known ingredient that brings heat and a depth of flavor to any dish. You can add smoked paprika instead of cayenne pepper as well.
- Seasoning: Salt and freshly grated black pepper are enough to make any dish interesting and flavorsome.
- Oil: You will need oil for frying. Although you can use any cooking oil, I prefer to use an oil that has low absorption. Thus, grape seed oil works pretty well for me. However, you can use avocado oil as well.
How to make oyster mushroom wings
Making these vegan wings using this oyster mushroom recipe is super easy. All you have to do is follow these simple steps:
Step 1: Start with separating the oyster mushrooms leaving the stems on. Wash them to get rid of the dirt and debris. Place them in a strainer and let them dry.
Step 2: Add the dry ingredients like spelt flour, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and cayenne powder equally into two different bowls.
Step 3: Set one bowl aside for later use and add water or vegetable stock to the other bowl. Mix well using a whisker or a wooden spoon until you get a smooth batter without any lumps. This batter is called the wet ingredient.
Step 4: In a frying pan, or skillet add oil and wait until it is very hot.
Step 5: Once the oil is hot, pick up oyster mushrooms one at a time, and dip them into the wet batter. Then take it out from the batter and add to the dry flour mix.
Step 6: Once the mushroom is well coated, drop it carefully in the hot oil. Repeat this process with all the oyster mushrooms.
Step 7: Fry the mushrooms from both sides until they get a beautiful golden-brown color.
Step 8: Remove these from the oil and place them on a kitchen towel to get rid of excess oil.
Step 9: Serve alongside your favorite dip.
How to store oyster mushroom wings
I don't think you will have any leftover oyster mushrooms, but you can place them in the refrigerator for over 2 days if you do. The thing with these vegan wings is that they can get soggy in the refrigerator. To solve this issue, deep fry them again in very hot oil for about 3 to 5 minutes so that the top gets crispy again. This is the perfect way to reheat these, and it helps in bringing back the real crunch. You can also heat them up in the oven on broil for a few minutes or toss them in an air fryer until crispy.
Note that some people like to reheat the leftover oyster mushroom wings in the microwave. Although it seems a convenient option, the oyster mushroom wings don't end up crispy. In fact, they get chewy and soggy. So, avoid using a microwave for reheating.
What to serve with oyster mushroom wings?
Because these are the imitation of the chicken wings, you can serve these with a delicious vegan dip or sauce of your choice. If you are looking for ideas, here are a few you might like:
- Maple Mustard Dip: This dip is the perfect balance of savory, sweet, acidity, and salty. You get the sweetness from the maple syrup and the intense heat from mustard. A dash of lemon or vinegar for acidity and the dip is complete.
- Gochujang dip: It is a fantastic dip for those who love Korean flavors. This simple yet strong dip includes gochujang, rice vinegar, soy sauce, maple syrup, garlic powder, and salt. Mix everything, and the delicious dip is ready.
- Ranch dip: it is a delicious creamy dip for those who like a creamy sauce. It includes ingredients like vegan mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, onion powder, chopped parsley, dill, chives, salt, and pepper.
- Sriracha: When there is nothing, there is delicious, spicy sriracha. There are so many vegan brands available to satisfy your craving.
- Vegan cheese sauce: Vegan cheese sauce is creamy, delicious, cheesy, and vegan. Made from soaked raw cashews, plant-based milk, and seasonings.
- Tahini sauce: delicious, rich, and savory tahini sauce is a perfect choice that goes so well with the crunchy oyster mushroom wings.
There are so many different ways through which you can make oyster mushroom wings. Here are a few variations you can try:
- Italian herbs: Add Italian herbs like dried oregano, rosemary, thyme, etc., to the spelt flour and enjoy the Italian flavors.
- Sesame seeds: You can also add Asian ingredients like sesame seeds to the batter.
- Jerk seasoning: Bring in the Caribbean flavors by using jerk seasoning to bring out the unique taste in the wings.
Oyster Mushroom Wings
- 4 cup oyster mushrooms whole
- 4 cup flour I used Spelt flour
- 2 cup water
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt & black pepper to taste optional
- Oil for frying I used grape seed oil
- In two separate bowls add 2 cups of flour, 1 tbsp of onion powder, 1 tbsp garlic powder, and 1 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- In one bowl, mix in your 2 cups of water. This will be your wet ingredient bowl. Use more liquid if the batter gets too thick.
- Add oil into a large pan and allow for the oil to get very hot.
- Separate the mushrooms leaving the stems attached.
- Take your mushrooms and dip them into the wet batter first, then the dry batter, and then into your oil.
- Allow mushrooms to fry on both sides until golden brown a little crispy.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Serve warm.
Dope Meal Planner
Hungry yet? Have you tried the Dope Meal Planner? New Meal Plans Every Week
I’ve always wanted to try oyster mushrooms and this was the perfect recipe for me to use them. Used the flour I had on hand (almond) and worked just as well. So good and will be making again!
This Buffalo mushrooms are so tasty and I can’t wait to make these again for Super Bowl weekend.
These mushrooms were incredible! I am making them again for my vegan nephew right before the holiday. Thank you!
Thank you! So glad that you liked the recipe.
I didn’t know oyster mushrooms could taste so good! This recipe is definitely going to be on rotation in my family!
Yay, so glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed the recipe!
Oyster mushrooms are my absolute favorite! They taste even better with the buffalo sauce and delicious coating! Thanks for the great recipe!
Oyster mushrooms are my favorite as well and I definitely agree about adding buffalo sauce. 🙂
I made these for my Mum as she has recently turned vegan and she loved them! She even asked me for the recipe. Thanks for sharing
So happy to share and to hear that your mum enjoyed them!
We made these for a meatless Monday meal. They were AMAZING! They had the crunch just like a wing, and the flavor was so good! We will be making them again soon!
Thank you so much! So happy to hear that you enjoyed them.
I really had no idea there was a debate over whether mushrooms are vegan. Interesting! These oyster mushrooms wings were delicious and your instructions were so easy to follow! I’ll definitely be making them again!
Thank you! So glad you enjoyed them.
I’m really trying to incorporate more plant based dishes into my diet so I decided to give these a try for game day last week. So good, I didn’t miss the meat at all! Looking forward to trying more ways to use these mushrooms!
So glad to hear that you enjoyed them. I hope this helps you incorporate more plant-based recipes. Please let me know if you need help.
I love these!! That crunchy coating and all those spices — they really are the perfect snack!
Thank you! Happy to hear that you enjoyed them.
These mushrooms are fabulous. Perfect texture and flavor. I will be making them again!
Thank you so much! I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed them.
These mushroom wings came out so crispy and delicious, I made them twice at this point and my family asked me to make them again! This recipe was such a hit in my house!!
Yay, so glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed the recipe.