Vegan Buffalo Potato Wedges
Buffalo potato wedges are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Drenched in buffalo seasonings, these are among the best flavors of potato wedges you can ever try. Serve these alongside vegan dips for added flavor.
If you are looking for a crispy potato wedges recipe, I have just the perfect one for you. This vegan recipe is not just easy to make but is a perfect way to enjoy buffalo flavors. The wedges are crunchy, crispy, and are a perfect snack for every occasion.
These buffalo potato wedges are quite versatile and can be served at any time…whether it’s at a tea party, or for a midnight craving, game day, or dinner party. Serve these as snacks, appetizers, or side dishes with the main course, and you won't be disappointed with your treat!
What are Vegan Buffalo Potato Wedges?
Vegan buffalo potato wedges are delicious vegan-style potato wedge that are made using your favorite plant-based ingredient…potatoes! These wedges are tasty, crispy, and a perfect treat for those French fry cravings.
Whether you bake them in the oven or air fry, you get wedges that are delicious, and the crunch is very satisfying. You can serve these wedges alongside your favorite vegan dip and sauce.
What type of potatoes are perfect for a vegan potato wedges recipe?
When you visit a grocery store, you will find several different types of potatoes. These are based on the starch content and color. Among the many varieties, the most commonly used potatoes are the:
Yellow potatoes: Yellow potatoes are known for their buttery flavor and moist and creamy texture. They don’t have a lot of starch in them and therefore are ideal for steaming, boiling, mashing, and roasting. Some of the most recognized yellow potatoes are Yukon gold, Alby's Gold, and yellow Finn.
White potatoes: White potatoes are definitely the most popular potatoes. The size is small to medium and is found in shapes like round or long. They have delicate thin skin. The texture is dense and creamy, and the flavor is mild and slightly sweet. Furthermore, it also has a medium stretch content and is quite low in sugar. These potatoes are perfect for boiling, frying, mashing, etc. some of the examples of white potatoes are russet potatoes.
Red potatoes: Another type of potato is red potatoes. The skin is red, pink, or copper. These potatoes are low in starch and have a moist texture. Some of the most common red potatoes are NorDonna, Chieftain, La Rouge, etc.
Do you have to soak potato wedges before cooking them?
It is an optional step. However, I personally find that soaked potato wedges turn out to be crispier. That’s because when you soak the potatoes in cold salty water, you let the excess starch leave the potatoes. As a result, the potatoes upon cooking get crispy.
However, make sure you rinse the wedges upon draining and place them on a kitchen towel to get rid of the excess water. This is important; otherwise, the wedges will soak up the moisture and turn soggy. No one likes soggy potato wedges, that's for sure!
The best thing about this vegan buffalo potato wedge recipe is that it uses simple ingredients readily available at every grocery store. Here is the detailed breakdown of every ingredient and how it brings out the flavor.
- Potatoes: You can’t have potato wedges without potatoes, can you? For this recipe, I recommend using russet potatoes. Russet potatoes have the perfect flavor, texture, and starch content. As a result, the wedges are crispy and delicious.
- Olive oil: A dash of olive oil is perfect for adding crispness to the wedges.
- Seasonings: Plain salt and freshly ground black pepper are enough to bring in the flavor you need.
- Garlic powder: Garlic powder brings in savory flavor and also adds a garlicky taste to the wedges.
- Onion powder: Onion powder has a slightly sweet and mild flavor.
- Dried parsley: Dried parsley has an herbaceous flavor and aroma.
- Buffalo hot sauce: Delicious vegan buffalo hot sauce brings heat and flavor to the wedges. I used primal kitchen buffalo hot sauce, but you can use any other brand as well.
How to make buffalo potato wedges?
Making buffalo potato wedges are very easy to make. Here are a few easy steps you have to follow:
Step 1: The first step is to wash the potatoes, pat them dry, and cut them into wedges. You can do that by cutting these in half and further cutting in half.
Step 2: Soak the wedges in cold water for about 20 minutes. You can also add salt to your water to help absorb more of the starch from your potatoes. Drain the wedges and rinse with water. Let the wedges dry.
Step 3: In a bowl, add olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, buffalo sauce, dried parsley, salt, and black pepper. Mix well and add potato wedges. Using your hands to coat the wedges evenly.
Step 4: Place the wedges on a parchment-lined baking tray almost an inch apart.
Step 5: Place the baking tray in a pre-heated oven to 400-degree F.
Step 6: Let the wedges cook for about 30 minutes or until the wedges turn crispy and golden brown.
Want to try different flavors? Here are a few seasoning ideas you can try:
- Italian herbs: If you love Italian flavors, try adding Italian herbs like dried rosemary, dried oregano, dried thyme, etc. These herbs don’t just add flavor but also add aroma.
- Jerk seasoning: If you love Caribbean flavors, you must try jerk seasoning. It is a Jamaican spice mix made from several spices. This seasoning is easy to find, and you can easily get it from any grocery store.
- Smoked paprika: Although we have hot buffalo sauce, which adds heat to the wedges, you can also add smoked paprika. It brings in a smoky and sweet flavor to the wedges.
- Asian-style: If you love Asian flavors, you can switch the hot sauce with soy sauce. It brings in a rich and salty flavor.
Tips and tricks for vegan potato wedges
Although making vegan potato wedges is super easy, here are a few tips you should follow:
- When choosing the potatoes, select the ones that are small in size. Small potatoes tend to turn out crispier than medium or large potatoes, because they take less time to cook. Avoid buying large potatoes if possible.
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly to get rid of all the dust and dirt. The skin should be shiny and dirt-free.
- If you don't have olive oil available, you can use vegan butter as well. It will also aid in the crispiness.
- You can adjust the amount of hot sauce as per your liking.
- If you don’t want to soak the wedges in water, you can steam them. This will also result in crispy wedges.
- Don't forget to flip the wedges halfway into the bake for even cooking.
- You can also sprinkle nutritional yeast halfway into the cook for a cheesy flavor.
- Finish the wedges with vegan parmesan cheese.
How to store buffalo potato wedges?
You can easily store the leftover potato wedges by placing them in an air-tight container and storing them in the refrigerator. They will last for up to three days. When reheating, don't reheat them in a microwave.
Instead, bake them in a pre-heated oven for about 5 minutes or until they get crispy again. Reheating the wedges in the microwave will make them soggy.
You can also freeze the buffalo potato wedges. For that, you have to place the wedges on a baking tray and place the tray in a freezer. Let the potato wedges flash freeze for about 3 to 4 hours.
Remove the tray and store the frozen wedges in a zip lock bag. This way, you can freeze the potato wedges for up to three months in the freezer. You can reheat these by placing them in a pre-heated oven for 20 minutes at 400 degrees F or toss them into your air fryer.
What to serve with buffalo potato wedges?
Buffalo potato wedges are perfect snacks, a starter, and a side dish for every occasion. Whether it is a game day or a dinner party, you can serve these alongside your favorite vegan dipping sauce.
If you are looking for a vegan dipping sauce, here are a few ideas you will like.
- Vegan cheese sauce: Delicious, rich, creamy, and cheesy vegan sauce with soaked cashews. This is a healthy option and goes so well with the potato wedges.
- Vegan ranch dressing: Vegan ranch dressing is so yummy. It is silky smooth, and easily available at most grocery store.
- Hummus: Hummus is another healthy dipping sauce idea. It is tasteful, creamy, and rich with middle eastern flavors. You can also try red lentil hummus.
- Spinach artichoke dip: Spinach artichoke dip is another delicious vegan dip. It is rich, creamy, and goes so well with potato wedges.
- Asian style dip: If you are looking for Asian flavors, try soy sauce, garlic, and red chilies. It is a simple yet tasteful dip that goes so well with the wedges.
More French Fries Recipes
- Lemon Pepper Fries
- Crispy Fries and Mixed Greens
- Vegan Zucchini Fries
- Crispy Oven-baked Fries with Nacho Cheese sauce
Vegan Buffalo Potato Wedges
- cooking spray
- 4 medium to large potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp garlic powder or to taste
- 2 tsp onion powder or to taste
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 cup Buffalo hot sauce I used Primal Kitchen
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Cut potatoes into wedges; soak in water for around 20 minutes (this is an optional step but creates crispier fries) and rinse well.
- Add wedges to a large bowl; drizzle with olive oil, add garlic powder, onion powder, dried parsley, 1/2 cup of buffalo sauce, and sprinkle salt & pepper over wedges. Place on prepared baking sheet approximately 1 inch apart.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown and crispy, about 30 minutes.
- Drizzle wedges with the remaining buffalo sauce and serve with your favorite vegan ranch or bleu cheese dressing.
-Amounts of hot pepper sauce and butter can be adjusted to obtain desired level of spiciness. -Tip: Soaking potatoes in cold water for 10 – 20 minutes (or longer) removes excess starch and allows for crispier fries.