White Bean Salad with Dijon Mustard Dressing
This Mediterranean inspired white bean salad is a simple, tasty, wholesome vegan salad you can enjoy as a main course or side dish. This salad is served with a Dijon mustard dressing with a punch of flavor.
This White bean salad recipe is quick to make and you can customize it as per your liking to change the flavors and textures. Here is everything you need to know about this refreshing dish.
For the White Bean Salad
- White beans: The main protein used in this delicious white bean arugula salad is white beans. These include a variety of beans like cannellini beans, navy beans, or lima beans. These beans are white in color, have a starchy texture, and an earthy and nutty flavor. You can use precooked canned white beans for this recipe. They are very convenient to use.
- Moreover, you can also cook white beans at home. Soak them for about 8 hours and cook them in boiling water until they are tender. Drain them and let them cool down. You can freeze cooked white beans and use them later as well.
- Arugula: This leafy green is a distinct cousin of cabbage, kale, or broccoli. Arugula is widely used in the salad because of its peppery, tart flavor with a hint of bitterness. Arugula comes in two types, i.e., baby arugula, which has a mild flavor, and grown arugula, whose flavor is more prominent.
- Red bell pepper: Red bell pepper has a fruity flavor and a bright red color which is quite eye-catching. Its fruity flavor makes this salad more tasty.
- Tomato: Add freshly sliced or chopped tomatoes to this salad for a sweet and sour flavor with added juiciness.
- Green onion: Green onion adds a savory and herbaceous flavor to this salad.
For the Dijon Mustard Dressing
- Olive oil: Olive oil sets the base for this Maple Dijon dressing. Olive oil is rich in healthy fats and therefore is an amazing option for preparing a delicious and healthy salad dressing.
- Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar adds a sour with a bit of zing flavor to the dressing.
- Dijon mustard: The next main ingredient prominent in this Maple mustard vinaigrette is Dijon mustard. Its complex and salty flavor shines through the salad.
- Maple syrup: To balance out the saltiness and acidity of this vinaigrette, I have used maple syrup. It has a sweet, complex, caramel-like flavor, makings this dressing more balanced.
- Black pepper: Adjust the flavors by adding black pepper.
- Salt: Season this dressing with a bit of salt to balance out the flavors.
How to make White bean arugula salad?
You can easily make White bean arugula salad by following these simple steps:
Step 1: Start by preparing the vegetables by washing them and chopping the tomatoes, red bell pepper, and green onions. Add them to the salad bowl.
Step 2: Similarly, wash the arugula and let it dry. Add it to the salad bowl as well. You don't need to chop it as we used baby arugula for this recipe.
Step 3: Now add cooked and drained white beans. Set the bowl aside.
Step 4: In a separate bowl or Mason jar, add olive oil, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, black pepper, and salt. Seal the lid and shake so that everything is well incorporated, or whisk together using a whisk or fork.
Step 5: Pour this Maple mustard vinaigrette over the salad. Toss it to incorporate the dressing. Refrigerate and serve.
You can add so many ingredients to this simple salad and make it more delightful. Here are a few ideas:
- Kale: Although arugula works really well for this recipe you can replace it with any other leafy green. The best option is using fresh kale leaves.
- Onion: Add chopped red onion for a crunch and savory flavor.
- Corn: You can add corn kernels to this salad for a fresh pop of color. Plus, its sweet flavor really adds to the dish.
- Celery: Try adding chopped celery to this salad. Its salty flavor and crunchy texture stand out.
- Nuts: You can garnish the salad with toasted nuts like walnuts, cashews, or peanuts.
- Herbs: Add fresh herbs like basil or cilantro to this salad instead of green onions.
- Sun-dried tomatoes: Replacing fresh tomatoes with sun-dried tomatoes also adds a different flavor to this salad.
- Parmesan cheese: Garnish the salad with vegan grated parmesan cheese for more flavor.
Can you store White bean arugula salad?
You can easily store the leftover arugula and Navy bean salad by placing it in an air-tight container and refrigerating for up to 5 days. Moreover, you can also store the dressing in an air-tight container for seven days.
White Bean Salad with Dijon Mustard Dressing
White Bean Salad
- 5 oz arugula
- 1 cup white beans
- 1 small red pepper
- 1 small tomato
- 1/4 cup green onion
Dijon Mustard Dressing
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Add arugula to a bowl.
- Finely chop and dice the red pepper, tomato, and green onion. Add them to bowl.
- Sprinkle in the beans.
- You can now add all of the ingredients for the dressing in a small mason jar or even a bowl. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour dressing on top and add any additional toppings. Enjoy.