Vegan Fried Avocado Tacos with Lime Crema
This Vegan Fried Avocado Tacos recipe is super simple yet gives you delicious and very satisfying dish. These flavorful tacos are also topped with a creamy lime crema. The fried avocados add a crunchy element, whereas the lime crema is perfectly refreshing and smooth.
This vegan taco recipe offers you a unique way to enjoy your usual “meat and cheese” tacos. Serve these as a starter or main dish and they'll be a hit at either course. Top them up with your favorite toppings and customize these tacos according to your liking.
Can you fry avocados?
A hundred percent yes, you can actually fry avocados. I don't know who came up with the original fried avocado recipe but let me tell you, whoever it was, is an actual genius. If you haven't tried fried avocados, you have to try them NOW!
Vegan fried avocados are very satisfying. They are crispy from the outside and smooth & creamy from the inside. Plus, they are a super delicious snack and the perfect healthy fat to satisfy any cravings. Making fried avocado is pretty much like frying any other vegetable. Yes, I know avocado is considered a fruit.
To create this dish, you must prepare a wet mixture made from flour, corn starch, baking soda, water and seasonings. First, dip the avocado slices in the wet mixture and coat them with breadcrumbs. Next, fry until golden brown. Isn't it super easy?
What is vegan lime crema?
Mexican tacos are often popular for their amazing flavors and fresh crema. Crema is the Spanish word for cream and is a rich, creamy recipe usually made from dairy milk. It has a unique flavor and texture that's close to sour cream. For this dish, we are not going to use dairy ingredients to make crema, but we are going to come up with a delicious lime crema that is just as tasty and creamy as any other.
All you need is coconut milk, cashews, lime, and cilantro. The texture of this Vegan Lime Crema is perfectly creamy, and the flavor is super citrusy.
Tips to remember when making Vegan Fried Avocado Tacos
Here are a few friendly tips you should remember when making these Vegan fried avocado tacos:
- You can add more flavor into the batter by adding cumin, allspice powder, or red chili powder as well.
- For a gluten-free option, use chickpea flour and gluten-free breadcrumbs.
- Fry avocados in olive oil or avocado oil. If you want oil-free crispy avocados, feel free to bake them or use an air-fryer.
- Add Italian seasoning or dried herbs to breadcrumbs for flavor and aroma.
- You can use silken tofu for lime crema.
- You can use black beans or pica de Gallo as topping as well.
How to store Vegan fried avocado tacos?
I recommend you prepare everything in advance and store it for later use. For instance, you can store fried avocados once they reach room temperature. Store them in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat them in the oven or air fryer until they are crispy again. Similarly, you can store lime crema in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Vegan Fried Avocado Tacos with Lime Crema
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large semi-firm avocado pitted, peeled and sliced into long wedges
- 3 medium 8-inch tortillas
- 1/2 cup vegan coleslaw optional
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 small jalapeño seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup raw cashews soaked overnight
- 1/3 cup canned coconut milk
- Coarse sea salt to taste
- 1 medium lime freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves finely chopped
- Place the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, turmeric powder, salt, and black pepper in a shallow bowl. Whisk in the water and mix to combine well.
- In a separate bowl, mix the breadcrumbs with garlic powder.
- Dredge the avocado wedges in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess. Then, coat them with breadcrumbs, pressing down to adhere.
- In a heavy-bottomed skillet, heat about 2 inches of olive oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, fry avocado wedges for approximately 2 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Remove them to a paper towel-lined plate. Work in batches, if needed.
- Add all the crema ingredients to a bowl of your food processor or high-speed blender.
- Blend ingredients until uniform, smooth, and creamy, stopping periodically to scrape down the sides of the bowl, as needed. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Set aside.
- Assemble your tacos with toasted tortillas, fried avocado wedges, coleslaw, tomato, jalapeño, and lime crema. Enjoy!