Vegan Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Vegan chocolate chip pancakes are delicious, easy to make, fluffy, and a perfectly vegan take on the traditional pancake recipe. These pancakes use ingredients like banana, flour, plant-based milk, and maple syrup to give us perfect pancakes.
Above all, the addition of chocolate makes them an excellent way to kick-start the day. Serve it as breakfast or snack on a dull day, and these delicious vegan pancakes will bring a smile to your face instantly!
We all know pancakes. It is that one breakfast dish we all enjoyed as kids and continue to eat now as well. A pancake is delicious, fluffy, comforting, and super easy to make. It is the easiest way to brighten up a day and bring joy to your belly.
Whether you are eating the basic pancake or one with treats in it, like a blueberry pancake or a chocolate chip pancake, it is a perfect breakfast. It is often the type of breakfast you make when you want to pamper yourself or your loved ones.
Most people follow the traditional pancake recipe that includes dairy milk, egg, and flour. But because there are so many people who opt for a different lifestyle like vegan, the traditional pancake recipe just doesn't seem to work.
Well, being vegan doesn’t mean you can't enjoy a fluffy pancake in the morning! It just means you have to improvise and simply choose different ingredients.
So, for all you vegans (or plant-based curious peeps) out there, worry not! Here is a delicious, simple, easy-to-make, and yummilicious pancake recipe that will become your new weekend favorite!
What are vegan pancakes?
A vegan pancake is a vegan version of the traditional pancake recipe. It uses ingredients that are plant-based instead of dairy and eggs.
Furthermore, other ingredients like chocolate chips are used in their vegan version as well.
A vegan pancake is perfect for those who follow the vegan lifestyle. These pancakes are not just tasty but are very easy to make.
In fact, the texture is excellent and very similar to the traditional non-vegan pancakes. You won't be able to find any difference; in fact, the texture and flavor are better!
Why make vegan pancakes?
Well, if you are thinking about why you should make vegan pancakes instead of the traditional ones, the reasons are unlimited.
However, here are a few reasons that will help in making your decision easy:
- Vegan chocolate chip pancakes are healthy-ish. That's because you are not using added sugar. Furthermore, because you are using banana and plant-based milk, the fat content is reduced as well. The recipe uses minimal ingredients for simple healthy living.
- These vegan pancakes are super easy to make. It takes literally five to seven minutes to prepare the batter. There is no fuss at all.
- The ingredients are very basic. You don't need any fancy ingredients.
- You can make a gluten-free version.
- It doesn’t need an egg. So, it is perfect for those you want to avoid saturated fat or have an egg allergy.
- This banana chocolate chip pancake recipe is very economical and budget friendly.
- Lastly, it results in tasty, fluffy, moist, and comforting pancakes.
For making chocolate vegan pancakes, you don’t need to shop at a fancy health store. In fact, you can make it with simple ingredients that are usually available in every kitchen pantry or local grocery store.
Here is a detailed breakdown of all the ingredients you need for these fluffy vegan pancakes:
- Flour: The first thing you will need for any pancake recipe is flour. Although most of us use all-purpose flour for making pancakes, it is not a hard and fast rule. You can use whole wheat flour, buckwheat flour, or any gluten-free flour like oat flour as well. When using wheat flour, combine it with buckwheat to 1:1 ratio for better results.
- Non-dairy milk: Non-dairy milk is milk that comes from plants. It includes coconut milk, almond milk, soy milk, cashew milk, and more! You can use any plant-based milk for this recipe. Whatever you have at home works fine as long as it is non-dairy.
- Banana: Banana is the secret ingredient in this vegan chocolate chip pancake recipe. Because of its mush texture, it is a perfect substitute for eggs in a pancake. A ripe banana gives body to the pancakes and makes them fluffy and moist. Also, because of its natural sweetness, you don't need to add a lot of sugar or another sweetening agent.
- Baking powder: Baking powder helps the pancakes rise and make them fluffy. It does that by trapping air in them. It is an important ingredient in this pancake recipe, so make sure not to forget it.
- Maple syrup: Maple syrup has a sweet flavor with a hint of vanilla and caramel. It brings in-depth flavor and balances out the taste of the pancake. In short, it makes the pancake tastier.
- Vanilla: Vanilla brings in a clean flavor to the pancakes that we all love.
- Chocolate chips: Chocolate chips do not just make the pancakes tasty but also add a richness to them and as well. They're also the star ingredient, so make sure you add plenty.
- Oil: You will need a little oil for cooking the pancakes. You can use cooking spray as well. Furthermore, vegan butter does a good job as well.
How to make chocolate chip vegan pancakes?
Making chocolate vegan pancakes is super easy. It takes no more than 10 minutes to get delicious, fluffy, and moist vegan pancakes on the plate.
Here is a step-by-step guide on making these tasteful vegan pancakes:
Step 1: Firstly, start by peeling the ripe banana and placing it in a large bowl. Using a fork, mash the banana until it is smooth and creamy.
Step 2: Next, add flour, baking powder, non-dairy milk, vanilla, and maple syrup.
Step 3: Mix well until all the ingredients are well combined.
Step 4: Lastly, add chocolate chips and gently fold them into the pancake mixture.
Step 5: Place a frying pan over medium heat and pour some cooking oil.
Step 6: Once the pan is heated, scoop ¼ cup of the pancake batter and pour it into the hot frying pan.
Step 7: Wait for a few seconds until you start seeing tiny bubbles appearing on the surface of the pancake, and the bottom gets a golden-brown color.
Step 8: Flip the pancake carefully and cook the other side as well.
Step 9: Once the pancakes are done, top them up with chocolate chips and maple syrup and serve hot.
Tips and tricks for perfect chocolate vegan pancakes
Although making pancakes is one of the easiest thing ever, you will still have to keep a few things in mind. They are:
- Try to make sure all the ingredients are at room temperature.
- Always use a ripe banana. It is sweet and easy to mash.
- Don’t over mix the pancake batter. Stop mixing once everything is combined. Over mixing the batter will result in gummy and chewy pancakes.
- When you have a few lumps in the batter, mash them up for even cooking.
- Although adding vanilla is optional, I recommend you don't skip it. The combination of vanilla and chocolate chips is a delicious and pleasant combination.
- If crispy pancake edges are desired, use vegan butter instead of cooking oil.
- If you don’t have maple syrup, you can use another liquid sweetener, organic cane sugar or coconut sugar as well.
- Before pouring the vegan pancake batter on the frying pan or griddle, make sure it is hot. Otherwise, the pancakes won't cook properly and will become chewy.
- Make sure the frying pan is lightly oiled. Wipe off any excess oil using a kitchen towel.
How to store vegan banana chocolate chip pancakes?
You can make the pancake batter in advance and place it in an airtight container as well. Store in the refrigerator for up to 12 hours. This will save you the preparation time.
Furthermore, you can store the cooked pancakes by placing them in a ziplock bag or an airtight container and placing them in the refrigerator.
They will last for up to three days in the refrigerator. You can reheat them in the microwave or on the stovetop.
How to serve vegan chocolate chip pancakes?
Here are a few ideas on how to serve these delicious vegan pancakes:
- Maple syrup: The traditional way of serving pancakes involves a lot of maple syrup. And why not? The combination is heavenly. The sweet, unique flavor of maple syrup goes so well with moist and fluffy pancakes. Yum!
- Vegan whipping cream: How about serving the vegan pancakes by topping them up with coconut whipping cream? The creaminess of the whipping cream is finger-licking good!
- Chocolate shavings: You can't say no to chocolate, can you? Use chocolate shavings to decorate your vegan pancakes, and enjoy!
- Fruits: Serve these delicious pancakes with fresh fruits like bananas, strawberries, etc.
- Jam: You can also top these pancakes with your favorite fruit jams.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Add ripe banana into a large mixing bowl.
- Mash the banana until creamy and smooth.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except for chocolate chips) into the bowl and stir until the mixture is well combined.
- Stir in your chocolate chips.
- Heat a lightly oiled frying pan or griddle over medium heat.
- Pour the batter onto the frying pan or griddle, about ¼ cup for each pancake. Flip the pancake, when bubbles begin to appear on the surface and the bottom is golden brown. Do the same for the remaining batter. Serve hot.
Dope Meal Planner
Hungry yet? Have you tried the Dope Meal Planner? New Meal Plans Every Week
Chocolate chip pancakes are my son’s all-time favorite. I made your vegan version and he likes them more than the traditional recipe!
I made these for one of my vegan friends and he REALLY enjoyed them. I also found them to be very good. I couldn’t tell they were vegan at all!
My nephew is a vegan so I have been trying out different recipes for him. I added few pecans for our pleasure and served. Everyone raved!
I like the flavor the banana brings to the pancakes. It pairs well with the chocolate chips! I used gluten-free all-purpose flour instead of regular flour and the recipe worked great!
Made these for the whole family and nobody could have guessed they were vegan! These will be a go-to in my household.
These pancakes are seriously so fluffy! I ate them with a little bit of peanut butter and it was heavenly!
I’m always in search of vegan recipes so I was really excited when I came across these pancakes. They were perfect and even the non-vegans loved it