Spicy Cumin Walnut Mushroom “Meat”balls
- 3/4 cup walnuts chopped
- 8 ounce package sliced Cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs or use chickpea crumbs
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 medium onion sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 14 ounce can white beans
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp fresh basil minced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place your walnuts and buns in the oven on lined or sprayed baking sheet and bake them for 10 minutes. Then, set them aside.
- In a pan, over medium heat, add your minced garlic and drizzle it with olive oil. Cook until it’s translucent.
- Add the mushrooms, onions, and Italian seasoning and continue to cook the mixture for 5-7 minutes.
- Rinse and drain beans.
- Lightly smash beans with your hand. Mash most of them leaving only a few solid beans.
- In a large bowl combine your beans, panko, walnuts, mushroom/onion mixture, red pepper flakes, basil, and salt/pepper. Press the mixture into balls and set them aside.
- In the same skillet, over medium heat, add a drizzle of olive oil and cook each ball for 5-7 minutes. Make sure to rotate for an even cook.
These can be dealt with in any way you want. We like to: fry them up with sliced onions, bell peppers, cilantro and toss in enchilada sauce (you can buy this canned). treat them like an Italian meatball and serve with marinara sauce over your favorite pasta get comfortable and toss in our favorite vegan gravy with oregano, thyme, carrots, potatoes and have a stew. Lower Fat Option – Reduce the amount of walnuts and increase mushrooms. You can also omit olive oil and saute with vegetable broth.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!