Oil-Free Quick & Easy Black Bean Burgers
Craving a burger on a vegan diet? I don’t see how that is a problem. There are so many amazing recipes that allow you to make and enjoy vegan burgers. However, if you are looking for a quick, easy and oil-free vegan burger recipe, let me tell you this Vegan black bean burger recipe is probably the best one you have ever tried!
Black bean veggie burger is not just vegan but is super quick to make. It is made using only five ingredients. These burgers are very tasteful, crispy on the outside, tender from the inside and are healthy as well. You can enjoy these burgers with your favourite sauces and toppings. Try this recipe, and I am sure you will fall in love with it!
Vegan black bean burgers are easy to make. You just need five simple ingredients, which are usually always available in a vegan kitchen pantry. These ingredients are:
- Black beans: I have used canned black beans for this recipe. That’s because they are precooked. Thus they are quick and convenient. If you prefer cooking black beans t home, feel free to do that. All you have to do is soak the dried black beans overnight and cook them in boiling water or in an instant pot until they are tender.
- Old fashioned oats: Old fashioned oats or rolling oats are rich in fibre and nutrients. They are also gluten-free. They give these burgers a body.
- Oat flour: Use oat flour along with old-fashioned oats. This gluten-free ingredient gives these patties a shape and makes them easy to handle.
- Salsa: Salsa adds tons of flavour to these patties. The moisture from the salsa acts as a binding agent and aids in giving the patties shape. Salsa has a refreshing, tangy and tomato-y flavour.
- Onion powder: Adding onion powder will give your patties a savoury flavour.
- Seasoning: Season these patties with salt and black pepper and adjust the taste as per your liking.
How to make Black Bean Veggie Burger?
This Vegan black bean burger recipe is very simple. So, you can follow these simple steps to get delicious and filling patties:
Step 1: Firstly, drain and rinse canned black beans in a strainer. Once they appear moisture-free, add them to a mixing bowl. Using a potato masher or a fork, mash the black beans.
Step 2: Now add old-fashioned oats, oat flour, onion powder, salsa and season with salt and black pepper.
Step 3: Mix everything until you get a sticky mixture. Divide this mixture into four equal parts and shape them into a patty with the help of your hands.
Step 4: Place these patties on a plate and refrigerate them for about 10 minutes. Place them on a parchment-lined baking tray and place the baking tray in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes. Flip after 5 minutes to cook the other side.
Step 5: Once the patties are cooked through, take the baking tray out of the oven and assemble the burgers. For that, spread your favourite vegan sauce over the burger, place the patty and top it with your favourite toppings. Serve.
Tips for making vegan black bean burgers
Here are a few tips that will give you delicious black bean patties
- If you find the patty mixture a bit runny, simply add more oat flour until you get your desired consistency. For a crumbly mixture, add more salsa.
- If you are struggling with binding the patties and they keep falling apart, add flax egg in it. You can make a flax egg by mixing one tablespoon of flaxseed with three tablespoons of water. Let it sit for 5 minutes, and you will get a sticky gel. Mix it in the patty mixture, and the patties won't fall apart.
- Although I haven't used many seasonings to add flavour to these burgers, you can add herbs, garlic powder, paprika powder, cayenne powder and cumin to add more flavour to these burgers.
- You can also add a dash of soy sauce or tamari to these burgers.
- You can enjoy these patties with a variety of sauces, i.e. vegan mayonnaise, ketchup, BBQ sauce, mustard etc.
- Top the burgers with shredded lettuce, cabbage, relish, arugula, avocado, pickled onions, tomatoes etc.
Different ways of cooking Black bean veggie burger
There are several ways you can cook these vegan black bean burgers. These are:
- Baking: it is the easiest way to cook these burgers. Simply bake the patties at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Air frying: You can also cook these patties by air frying them. They give them a crunchy texture and are cooked without oil. Don’t forget to flip the patties halfway into the cook.
- Frying: If you are missing a little oil, no problem. You can fry these patties in a dash of olive oil until they are brown and the exterior is crunchy.
- Grilling: Want to make these burgers for outdoor BBQ. All you have to do is grill them and enjoy!
How to store black bean burgers?
There are two ways you can store these black bean burgers these are:
- Cooked: Once they are cooked and reach room temperature, you can place them in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Moreover, you can also freeze cooked black bean patties. Firstly, flash freezes them for an hour, then place them in a zip lock bag for up to 3 months. Simply let them thaw first and then reheat them in the oven or over a stovetop.
- Uncooked: Dust a bit of oat flour on the uncooked black beans patties and refrigerate them for three days. Moreover, you can freeze them by flash freezing them first and then stacking them in a plastic zip-lock bag. You don't have to thaw them to cook them. Place them in the oven and let them cook. It will take a bit longer, but it's worth the wait.
Oil-Free Quick & Easy Black Bean Burgers
- 1 can organic black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup your favorite salsa + 3 tbsp
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mash black beans in a bowl with a fork or potato masher. Add the remaining ingredients, except the oil, and stir to combine.
- Depending on how liquidy your salsa is, you may need to add more flour. Add it 1 tbsp at a time if needed, mixing after each addition.
- Divide mixture into 4 sections. Form each section into a patty.
- Refrigerate plate of burger patties for about 7-10 minutes to make the burgers easier to cook.
- Bake your burger patties for 5 minutes on each side until lightly browned and crispy on the outside.
- Assemble burger on a bun with your favorite toppings and serve immediately!