Chocolate Blueberry Cakes
Are you looking for a vegan, gluten-free, healthy cake recipe? Well, if you are then this raw delicious treat is the right one for you!
My chocolate blueberry cake recipe is a 100% vegan recipe that creates delicious mini cakes without eggs, dairy products or added sugar. It is a healthy recipe with only a few ingredients, that makes cakes that are not only delicious but are perfect for those living a healthy lifestyle.
You can enjoy them as breakfast, a snack on a hot summer day (since no baking is required) or something to satisfy a midnight sugar craving. Whatever time you choose to enjoy these, they are just the right treat to bring a smile to your face and brighten your day!
What is special about this chocolate blueberry cake recipe?
You might have tried different blueberry or chocolate cake recipes, but this recipe is absolutely the best . Vegan cake recipes can be tricky because they don't use regular cake ingredients such as eggs and dairy products. However, this recipe covers everything from flavor to texture with no baking required.
Here is why this blueberry chocolate cake is the best vegan cake you can ever make:
- First of all, it is vegan. There are no dairy products like milk or eggs. So, none of our little animal friends were harmed in the making of these cakes. And yet, it is still super creamy due to soaked cashews. It is the secret weapon to creamy cake layers.
- This recipe is gluten-free. We do not using all-purpose flour for the cake base. Instead, we use oats, a gluten-free ingredient. Thus, this cake is perfect for those who have gluten allergies.
- The sweetness of this cake comes from natural sugar present in the mulberries, bananas and maple syrup.
- This recipe is super healthy. All the ingredients scream nutrition and you won’t find any additional calories or unhealthy preservatives.
- This is a no-bake cake. If you don't like to indulge in baking or don't have the time or energy for it, no worries. You don't need an oven to make this cake. Instead, you can get it done in the freezer. How convenient!
- Lastly, this cake Is super easy to make. There is no extensive preparation process– You just need the ingredients, a good food processor, and a freezer.
The best thing about this vegan chocolate blueberry cake recipe is that you don't need over the top or expensive ingredients. All the ingredients are easy to find and are readily available in every vegan kitchen pantry or local grocery store. Here is a detailed breakdown of everything you need for this mouthwatering recipe:
For the Crust
- Oats: Oats are easy to find, gluten-free and a healthy option for those who like to keep track of their calorie intake. You can either use rolled oats, instant oats, or old-fashioned oats for this recipe. As long as they are gluten-free, we are good to go.
- Dried mulberries: Dried mulberries are easy to find –You can get them online or at most grocery stores. They are a very healthy snack as well. The best thing about them is that they have a naturally sweet flavor.
- Pitted dates: Dates also have a naturally sweet flavor and are jam-packed with healthy nutrients. Adding dates to the crust will help in holding its shape.
For the Blueberry Layer
- Raw cashews: Because it is a vegan recipe, we are not going to use any dairy products. Instead,we are going to use cashews. When soaked overnight or for 6 hours, raw cashews result in a creamy texture when blended. As a result, they fulfill the need for cream.
- Frozen blueberries: Although you can use fresh blueberries, frozen blueberries offer the texture we need for this layer and help in keeping the raw cake nice and cold. Plus, they are easy to find, especially when blueberries are out of season.
- Water: You will need a splash of water to ensure smooth blending.
For the Chocolate Layer
- Raw cashews: Again, adding raw cashews makes the chocolate layer creamy, rich and smooth.
- Frozen bananas: Bananas are often used instead of dairy products because of the creaminess they add to the dish. Moreover, they are also naturally sweet.
- Cocoa powder: Cocoa powder is known for its intense and deep chocolate flavor. I use unsweetened cocoa powder, but you can go for sweetened cocoa powder as well.
- Maple syrup: Maple syrup has a complex flavor that is a blend of vanilla and caramel. It adds the sweetness you need for the layer. If you don’t want to use maple syrup, use agave nectar instead.
How to make the blueberry chocolate cake?
Making this vegan chocolate blueberry cake is the easiest thing you can ever do. With three main components, the process takes no more than 20 minutes. The rest of the time goes into cooling and setting the cakes. Here is a step-by-step guide:
Step 1: The first step is to prepare the crust. For this, you have to add all the three ingredients, i.e., oats, dried mulberries and dates, into a food processor. Process until you get a crumbly mixture.
Step 2: Place the mixture into the bottom of mini springform cake pans and press so that the crust is even. Place the pans in the freezer for about 30 to 60 minutes.
Step 3: Meanwhile, wash the food processor, pat it dry and add frozen blueberries to the food processor along with soaked and drained raw cashews. Process until you get a creamy consistency. You can add a few splashes of water to ensure smooth processing.
Step 4: Once the blueberry vegan cream is ready, add it to the top layer of the crust and freeze for about 1 to 2 hours until it hardens.
Step 5: Meanwhile, clean the food processor and add the soaked and drained raw cashews, frozen bananas, cocoa powder and maple syrup in the food processor bowl.
Step 6: Add the chocolate mixture to the set cake and level it. Place the cake in the freezer for 30 to 60 minutes until the layer sets completely.
Step 7: Once the cake is set, garnish it with fresh blueberries and chocolate shavings.
Step 8: Enjoy.
Tips and tricks for the perfect blueberry chocolate cake:
Here are a few things you need to keep in mind when making this cake:
- The best way to get the creamy consistency of the blueberry and chocolate layer is by soaking the raw cashews overnight. If you can’t soak them overnight, give them at least six hours of soaking time. The more you soak them, the smoother the layer will be. The less time you give them, the more granules they will have.
- Although most people prefer to use fresh fruits rather than frozen ones, using frozen blueberries and bananas will help in achieving the smooth consistency you desire and will keep the raw cake nice and cool. If you don't have maple syrup, you can use agave nectar as well. It is also a vegan ingredient and has natural sugar.
- You can choose either sweetened or unsweetened cocoa powder, depending on the amount of sweetness you like.
- If you are having a problem processing any ingredient, you can add a splash of water or non-dairy milk. Make sure you add a very small amount so that the mixture doesn't get runny.
- If you don’t have a food processor, you can use a high-speed blender as well.
How to store the blueberry chocolate cake?
Because it is a no-bake cake, the best way to store it is by placing it in the freezer. You can take it out and place it in the refrigerator a few hours before serving. This way, it will get a texture that is easy to enjoy.
You can place the individual cakes in an air-tight container or a plastic zip lock bag and freeze. This cake will last for about two months in the freezer.
Can you make this cake in advance?
Yes, you can definitely make this cake in advance. You can make these in large batches of individual servings or a big chunk. Store it in the freezer until you are ready to serve it.
Once the time for serving is close, remove it from the freezer and place it in the refrigerator.
Try this amazing vegan cake recipe today and I am sure you will love it. It is easy to make and super delicious. Especially on hot summer days, this cold cake is just the right one for you.
Chocolate Blueberry Cakes
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oats
- 1/2 cup dried mulberries
- 1/2 cup pitted dates soak for around 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup raw cashews soaked overnight
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 2 tsp water
- 1/2 cup raw cashews soaked overnight
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- Take all of your crust ingredients and blend in a food processor or high speed blender until you get a crumbly mixture.
- Form into your mini springform cake pans.
- Place in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour, or until firm. Rinse your food processor.
- Drain your soaked cashews. Add your cashews and blueberries to your food processor/high speed blender and blend until creamy. Adding a few splashes of water if necessary.
- Add your middle layer to your cake pan and freeze for 1-2 hours.
- Blend all of your chocolate layer ingredients until creamy. Add your chocolate mixture to your cake pans and place them back into your freezer for another 30 minutes to an hour.
- Topped with blueberries and chocolate shavings.